Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Shipping Insurance Options

When I ship my packages out I want to know that they arrive safely and my customer is happy that the item is in good condition.  Most of my items are shipped via the USPS using Priority Mail or First Class Mail and sometimes UPS.  The UPS option is great because it includes $100 of insurance but UPS is most often not the most economical way for me to ship.  So I tend to go with USPS and when I do and I have an item that is valued over a certain amount, I insure it.  However, the USPS shipping insurance is very expensive and can cost even more than the postage.  So I choose to sign up with ShipSaver through eBay's Application tab.  It is very easy to sign up and costs nothing to do so.  You can also set at what dollar amount you want ShipSaver to automatically insure your package both domesically and internationally.  The price is also right at $0.79 per $100 for domestic insurance and $1.00 per $100 for international insurance.  The best part is that I don't have to pay an extra bill at the end of the month because the fee comes directly out of my PayPal account each time I have an item insured.

99% of my international parcels that are insured are done so through ShipSaver.  However. there are a few countries and locations that ShipSaver does not cover and therefore I insure through U-Pic.  I recently had a sale of $179.99 Christian Dior shoes go to Moscow, Russia.  For shipments to Russia (and other states within the Commonwealth), ShipSaver's "coverage ceases upon touchdown of the aircraft at the airport of destination or upon discharge from the overseas vessel at the destination discharge port".  Well, I certainly wasn't comfortable with that and insured the package through U-Pic for $3.20 as U-Pic covers all of Russia and many other countries that aren't insured by others.  Everything went smooth and my customer got their package and was very happy but I still wasn't taking any chances on a $180 package going half way around the world!  My peace of mind was definitely worth the $3.20! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...