Friday, March 4, 2011

Amazing customers...from two perspectives

In one week I have had the two most amazing customers and the stories I'm about to tell will stick with me and be a constant reminder to me of the fact that there are two very distinct types of people in this business...good people and bad people.  I hate to say that but unfortunately it's true.  I have no idea if one out weighs the other and I don't care to know because I would rather just keep it moving and be thankful for everything that I have learned and received from this wonderful business.

The first story goes like this...

I had a sale, a $7.00 Truss Bridge Kit for a build your own train set.  Like hobbyist have.  It included free shipping and was a consignment.  My consignor had given me a whole bunch of train parts, tracks, trains, engines, stations, and miscellaneous and they were all vintage.  From the 70's or so.  Now I've learned a lot about trains since I did the listings and just because they are vintage doesn't make them any more special because they make them exactly the same today.   But any who, this bridge kit was brand new in it's original box which was in like new condition and the value of that same kit today if you were to buy it in the store would be about double what I was selling it for, about $14.00.  So I bubble wrapped it, put it in a bag and off it went.  Now mind you, I ALWAYS check to see what is inside of a box and photograph the contents along with the box.  Well, a couple of days later, I get an e-mail stating that this was not brand new as the trusses were missing.  (Trusses are the sides of the bridge).  I nearly fell over because I knew that this was not true but when I went back and looked at my listing I had realized that I took a picture of the box and had not removed the contents!  I had not photographed the contents and therefore had no proof that he was lying!  So I bit my tongue and apologized profusely and told him that if he were to return it that I would issue him a refund and pay his return postage.  Yes, I offered to pay the return postage!  Why?  Because I have too much to lose.  I am a Top Rated Powerseller and if I were to lose that status, I would be out a whole lot more than $9.09 ($7.00 plus his $2.09 return shipping).  What would I be out?  Well, with Top Rated Seller Status you get 20% off of FVF which last month was a little over $40.00 that I saved.  Plus I won't have a negative rating for all to see.  He was a jerk and stole two little pieces out of a $7.00 item that were obviously very important to him.  I'm sure he expected me to baulk and argue with him at which rate he probably would have opened a claim which would have also done a great deal of damage.  This way he got what he wanted and I got what I wanted because he ended up leaving me positive feed back and I'm only out $9.09.  A small price to pay.

Now just as an addendum to the returns factor.  I offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee no questions asked return policy.  I know you're saying that I'm crazy but there are several reasons for it which is completely another whole topic.  But the biggest reason and a reason that you should accept returns too is that E-Bay doesn't care about you're policies.  If you have a no return policy and a customer files a claim and wins that claim, E-Bay will automatically take the money out of your account and give it to the buyer.  Then you're out the item and the cash.  However, if  you do offer refunds, E-Bay forces the customer to return the item before they get their cash.  It seems ridiculous but then again what mail order catalog or business for that matter have you heard of that doesn't accept returns?  And if you are running a business why not act like one?  Anyways, on to the last portion of this post.

The second story goes like this...

This morning I sat down to process shipping overage refunds.  Yes, I do that too.  Inadvertently I had refunded one of my buyers the total amount of her purchase rather than $2.16 that I had meant to send her!  That's what I get for not finishing my coffee before I get to work!  LOL.  Anyways, I thought about it for a minute and I was going to let it go and take it as my mistake but then I remembered, it doesn't hurt to ask.  I e-mailed her telling her of my stupid mistake and asking for her to return the money.  When I had sent the e-mail, I returned to My EBay and noticed I had a message from her asking her what was going on (she hadn't received my e-mail yet) as she had gotten the tracking information already.  I re-explained myself and my stupidity (which I keep kicking myself for) and sent it off.  Immediately she responded with "these things happen and I've already sent it back to you"!!!  You have no idea how grateful I am to that woman.  Granted it was only $30.00 but $30.00 is $30.00!  She was so understanding and cool about it.  She could have been horrible and kept the money and the item but she didn't.

And both these stories just go to show that there are bad people who will take advantage and there are really good people that are honest and kind and understanding!

THE END!

1 comment:

  1. I seem to find the rather grouchy people and then the people who are nice I don't "deal" with any problems so it is hard for me to notice them! Isn't that life? I hate it when I say something is used and then people want me to refund their money because it is "too used" sometimes you can't make people happy! I try hard to list everything with the item, but I only put one picture on it. So far usually they are happy with keeping the item and returning money-all but shipping...which means I'm not out too much since everything I buy is 99cents.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...