Monday, March 7, 2011

Remarkable Find

So, I had to travel up to Hamden, CT today to pick up my brother-in-law becasue I had to bring him down my way to get his car.  Right around the corner from where he and my sister live is one of my favorite Goodwill Stores.  I said to myself "Let me just pop in for a sec" and we all know how that goes!  Well, I wandered around a bit not really very happy with anything that I was finding when I rounded the corner and found these!
Certainly not the picture I will be using to sell them but I just had to show you!  Woo-hoo!  I love Pyrex Blue Butterprint and it sells fantastic!  I wish there was more there!

I then started over to the books because I've been learning a lot about what sells since my consignors seem to have a never-ending book supply!  So I was browsing and I grab a vintage childrens book that is filled with  short stories of Norwegian folk tales.  I try to focus on certain types of books because then I will be completely buried in my little house.  I look for vintage childrens, cookbooks and leather bound collectible library books like Easton Press.  But my eyes kept roaming because there was so many there and I came across one of my favorite books, Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill.  It is an excellent book that I have read a few times and keep a copy of it on my bookshelf.  I opened it up, oh 1937 and it looks like the 1st edition.  Ok I thought, I could probably get a good $50.00, maybe even $70.00 or $80.00.  You never know.  So I grabbed it.  Great book anyway I thought.  I would love to have this copy even if it's not sellable.  Even though I know that that book has a huge following and has been used by many a great minds in our time.

It's in great condition for it's age.  It doesn't have the dust jacket but it did have it's original insert.  So when I get home I look up the value on one book site that I use, bookfinder.com.   Nooooooo, I say, that can't be right.  So I go to the other book site that I use addall.com.  Wait hold on now.  I jumped on Terapeak and I nearly fell over.  The book is worth thousands of dollars!  SCORE!  I put it up on E-Bay tonight.  If you want to check out the listing it's right here.  I hope it will go in a week.  I know that these types of sales sometimes take more time but I did see on Terapeak that one just sold for the same amount.  The only difference between the two is that mine seems to be in better condition but no dustjacket.  The ones on the booksites with dustjackets are going for $3500 - $4500 so I think my pricing is fair.  I've always wanted to find that really big score and now I have one under my belt!  Last year I had bought a CatherinHolm Pot for $0.25 and sold it for $32 and though that was big!  This is huge!  Thank you favorite book and thank you sister for having to work today and brother-in-law for leaving your car down my way!  If it wasn't for you guys I never would have found this!

P.S. If this post seems a bit scattered, please excuse me!  I'm exhausted from all the excitement!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...