So after I dropped my shipping off at the post office and hit the bank (so that I make sure I have enough money for tomorrows church sale) I decided to stop at my favorite pit stop...Goodwill. I wasn't going to since I'll probably have a haul tomorrow but I said to myself "I'll just look". I consistently lie to myself! However, I am so glad that I went.
I started in my usual fashion as I do have a certain route I travel within the aisles. I was looking, looking, looking. Nothing. I went up the next aisle which is china. My favorite aisle! I saw some stuff I would have bought if it was half off but it wasn't so I started looking at the mugs. I found one Tabletops Unlimited Christmas mug. OK. That is good. Took that. Looking at the end caps, nothing. Next aisle which is glasses, nothing although my Georges Briard is still there and I'm waiting till Sunday to go back and grab that for 50% off. OK so next aisle. Something, I don't know what, told me to look in the silverware bin today. I usually don't mess with it because it's so messy. But today I did and I found good silverplated flatware! Now you maybe saying "But it's only silverplated" and yes it is but if it's got a pattern name on it, then it's good.
You see when flatware has it's pattern name on it, it generally means that the company created fine items. Plus it makes it a lot easier to research! This set is 1847 Rogers Bros. The IS next to it stands for International Silver and the pattern name is Reflection. I got 30 pieces including dessert forks, dinner forks, dinner knives, a slotted spoon, two serving spoons and a cake knife. I am ecstatic!
They weren't too badly tarnished.
But when I cleaned them up, they were brilliant!
I did get two other pieces that don't match this set. I got this silverplated Gerber baby spoon.
It's not worth much but I thought it was so cute. I might save it until I find another Gerber item and sell them together. I also got this spoon.
It was the only one and the weight of it was so different. I have a funny feeling that it's sterling. It is beautifully decorated. Look at the back!
I think it's beautiful. The interesting thing about this piece is that when I looked up the company name that is on the back, it was a company that was located right here in the city that I live in! The company opened in 1882 and was bought buy the International Silver Company in 1898. I think that is amazing! It doesn't have any "IS" marks on it so maybe it's an early piece. I'm going to hang on to this one also and maybe dig around and find some more history on it. Research is half the fun of the business!
I am going to get a good nights sleep tonight so that I can be bright eyed and bushy tailed for tomorrow morning! Enjoy your evening!
No comments:
Post a Comment