So the stupendous sounding tag sale that I went to on Friday ended up being a bust. There were such wonderful items but his prices were so high! Some of the things were even higher than EBay because I researched them when I got home. When I had gotten there I started finding things that I had wanted and asked if I could pile them somewhere and in return they gave me a box. So when I was finished I had a small decorative vase made in Ireland, a cool looking cube with the queen of hearts on each side, a set of Minton salt and pepper shakers, two small Lenox dishes, two Haviland Dishes, a porcelain bird, 7 Royal Doulton plates and a couple of other items that I don't remember what they were. When I asked him how much was the total I thought he was kidding. He said $75.00! I really thought he was kidding and asked him again and when he repeated it I said $75.00! Literally, in an exclamation! Possibly with a slight attitude. (LOL) Then he told me I was getting "the cream of the crop" and started breaking down the prices to me. He actually said that he was basically giving the Doulton to me (not for $75.00!). The Doulton wasn't anything spectacular. It didn't have the pattern name on it (which means it's nameless and only has a number associated with it) and it was very plain. So I put a few things back and asked how much again. $40.00. Now mind you, I have about 5 items in this box. So I put a few more back. We are down to the Doulton, the Ireland vase and the queen of hearts cube. $15.00. I asked him how much he was charging for the Ireland and the queen. $5.00 each. These were no names. Nothing special. So I said while putting the items back and knowingly with an attitude, "That's just too much for me at a tag sale"". And I heard him say that that is why he doesn't like to do tag sales. But I'm thinking to myself, then don't advertise "tons of $1.00 items, Dining table for $50.00 and estate sale without the estate sale prices!". So I only got the Doulton. Here they are.
See very plain. Now I usually don't get an attitude with these types of sales but something just irked me about this man. He had also had some Metlox that I went inside to look at and he had tons of stuff scattered all around a computer. It reminded me of my office. When I was shown the Metlox, there was a sales invoice on top. Guess where that sales invoice was from. You guessed it EBAY! He had also mentioned that the Haviland that I picked up he had just sold for $30 each and was a steal at $7.50 each. No it's not! Not to me! Plus if you just sold them then why not sell the rest? Anyways, enough complaining.
So I came home, called my mother to lament and when I got off the phone with her I just felt the need to get out of the house. So I went to my favorite pitstop, the Goodwill. However, I didn't go to my neighborhood one. I went a couple towns away to the one where I found the Arcopal. I love that one. It's dirty and filled to the brim. I was there for 3 hours! I didn't find any vintage but I did find tons of dinnerware for my store. Here is some:
More Johann Haviland dinner plates...
...these adorable fun Pier 1 plates...
...Fitz & Floyd Sugar Bowl and Creamer...
...and some Dansk. I got tons more but hardly spent any money! As you can tell I love china and dinnerware. It's so much fun to me! One girl asked me when she saw my cart "Do you just like dishes or something?''. I smiled from ear to ear! I though that was so funny because I do love dishes! I told her that I'm a seller but then joked with her and told her that I was actually a dish hoarder! LOL. I had fun there and by the time I was leaving I was ready to be done. Three hours is a long time!
In between cooking the stuffed cabbage today, I got it all listed and now I'm exhausted! I hope everyone who celebrates has a wonderful Happy Easter! I know I will...I have Cadbury Eggs waiting for me at my moms house! Somehow, I just can't give those up! ;)
Many thanks to Apron Thrift Girl for allowing me to contribute to Thrift Share Monday.
Some people just can get under my skin! I've been dealing with several on the phone lately and its been such a bother. I told my hubby about them and he suggested an alt. solution but I said, "no, they need to do their job that they are paid for!" lol! Sometimes I think I can be just as stubborn and it gets me into trouble!
ReplyDeleteSounds like this guy just lost some good sells. It is hard when you have people who know (or think they know) they value of their items. That usually means 3x the good buying price!
So true! It was a difficult sale but I made up for it at the Goodwill! I was completely de-stressed when I left. I think I was just looking for a fix!
ReplyDeleteAhh, I know the dish fever myself. It's hard to pass up a pretty dish at a decent price. Much easier to walk away from one that is being sold by a jerk.
ReplyDeleteGlad you found some goodies at the Goodwill.
Tammy